Wednesday 31 July 2013

Baking challenge

Hope this post finds you all well. Today as the weather has been miserable butr cooler I thought I'd do some baking. I don't have a sweet tooth but I do love baking , just not eating it but fortunately I have a hubby and son who do like the sweeter things in life.

When visiting blog land the other day I found a challenge of a different kind on cookies and cups and it was to modify one of Shelly' s recipes,I found doughnuts, that was a no brainer as both the men in my life love doughnuts but  I don't like fried stuff.

Well the recipe I adapted mine from is one that Shelly  had alreadyadapted and now here is my version.

I decided to experiment with the flavours and made both lemon and chocolate doughnuts.
I used the following basic recipe and added 3 heaped teaspoons of cocoa for the chocolate ones and a heaped teaspoon of cocoa to both the glaze and the frosting.
The lemon doughnuts had 2 tablespoons of lemon juice added to the base mixture and the glaze and frosting were mixed with lemon juice instead of milk.
The base recipe is below. unfortunately I reverted to the original recipe as in the UK we don't have the same cake mixed that Shelly used.

I hope you like the recipe and will try my version, I also halved the quantities so made only 4 of each flavour as my doughnut rings are actually rhum baba rings and make giant doughnuts.

The original recipe is below thanks to Wilton

2 cups cake flour sifted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter

Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Beat all the ingredients together until a smooth batter.
fill the donut rings 2/3 full and bake in the oven for 7-9 minutes till they spring back.
cool for 4-5 minutes then glaze.
When cooled top with frosting and serve.


I am entering this{lemon and chocolate doughnut recipe in the Creative Recipe Contest hosted by Confessions of a Cookbook Queen and Cookies and Cups!“)


 


No comments: