Wednesday 16 September 2015

My first mixed media

After I had finished my household chores this morning I was supposed to be making a start on decorating my bedroom so I can get my new carpet ordered but I got distracted as I thought IO would have a little play first and have a go at mixed media.

I have to admit I always thought mixed media was really complicated but as there are a few challenges out there for mixed media and many just appear to be using different things I guess its not really as complicated as I thought.

The media I decided to use are some moon-glow spritz inks and embossing powders. I decided first off to have a go at making a stencil by stamping some small leaves I have and cutting them out with a craft knife. That worked well until I decided to use the inks and spritz the leave cut outs. It seemed to work ok until I got impatient and tried to dry them a bit faster with a heat gun , they ended up looking like splodges not leaves.

My second attempt used the same stencil but just embossing powders but they all just seemed to blend together and not the effect I wanted.


I decided to ditch the stencil and use the cut out bits and spray on top of them and then add a sprinkling of embossing powders. My spritz inks are all autumnal colours so that was the theme I decided to stick with. Once the spritz and powders were heated they had a lovely shine and when the cut out leaves were taken off I was left with crisp white leaf shape spaces.I then used the original stamps I used to create the cut out shapes and stamped into the white shapes the appropriate leaves with cocoa memento ink.


I'm not sure what occasion I will use this card for but I definitely think its one for the boys.



I would like to enter this card into the following challenges:-

That's crafty challenge - lovely leaves

Addicted to CAS - leaves



dream valley challenges-autumnal colours



clear it out - autumn stash/leaves/foliage

cards und more - no designer paper


9 comments:

Doni High said...

Good job on your first mixed media card. Looks like you had a lot of fun! Thanks for joining us at ATCAS.

Marlene Atkinson said...

A beautiful cardon your first attempt at mixed media. Thank you for sharing with us at Dream Valley Challenge. Marlene DT

Julie B said...

Well done with your first MM card, hope you continue to play and explore some more, the spritzing is so effective.
Thanks for sharing at Cards und More. :)

Jan said...

This is great thanks for joining us at CCC xx Jan Dt

Loll said...

Congrats on your first mixed media card ... you did good!! :) Great design and I love the spraying over top of your leaf masks. Thanks for playing along at ATCAS.

Tinchen said...

wow nice backround, this effect ist great
thanks for joining us at cards und more challenge
regrads Tinchen

AndreaNorris said...

Love what you've done with this, congrats on doing your first mixed media - you'll get hooked :) Thanks for joining us at Oddball Art and we hope to see you again soon
Andrea x

Aluna said...

Interesting mix media card. Thank you for joining us at Creative Card Crew. Good Luck, Joanna DT

Jo said...

Beautiful....love the colours! Thanks for joining us over at Oddball Art this time & good luck!
hugs Jo x